Sunday 4 March 2007

TextMate for rails

Note: The RichText blog has moved to www.ricroberts.com

With the seemingly indefinite postponement of Radrails 0.8, I decided to go on the hunt for another Ruby on Rails IDE.

After scouring the web, I found that many people seem to favour TextMate, and according to this page the core Rails team use it for development, so I thought I'd give it a whirl.

I must say I am impressed. It features Subversion integration, and some built in support for developing Ruby on Rails applications. The only thing it doesn't have is a step-through ruby debugger, but there is a TextMate ruby-debug bundle which allows you to set breakpoints from within TextMate. (My previous blog post explains more about ruby-debug.)

Note that in order to get the Subversion integration to work, you need a Subversion client installed. There are now new instructions on Hivelogic.com for setting up rails on OS X which now feature how to install one.

TextMate is not free, but it is cheap at only 39 Euros.



Digg Technorati del.icio.us Stumbleupon Reddit Blinklist Furl Spurl Yahoo Simpy

Please also visit the Swirrl blog

No comments: